Company: Buttercream Clothing
Mom of (how many): 3
Favourite Quote: The harder I work, the luckier I get
Red or White: white
Heels or Flats: heels whenever possible!
Last book you read: #Girl Boss
If we jumped in your car what would we be listing to? Bobs and Lolo
Van or SUV? Van (had to do it with 3 kids!)
1. We are always intrigued to know where the inspiration came from to begin any business. Where or when were you inspired to create “Buttercream Clothing”?
Growing up, my parents owned their own hair and esthetics salon so it was a natural progression to start my own business. I worked in their salon for 10 years and I learned a lot about amazing customer service and how that impacts your business long term. After having my first baby in 2010 I knew that I never wanted to go back to work full time and after trying a few different things I came up with the idea to start this company while talking to my sister-in-law about her Etsy shop
2. The name “Buttercream Clothing”, where did that come from?
I originally started the company as “Buttercream Aprons” as I was making vintage-inspired aprons and thought the bakery theme suited the concept well. When my brand changed to clothing the name stuck and I still love it.
3. In one sentence what is your philosophy behind Buttercream Clothing?
Comfortable, stylish and ethical fashion for real women focusing on moms and women who want to feel good in their clothes.
4. What was your TOP selling item for 2014?
The organic cotton mint with gold arrows scarf.
5. Can you share with us what makes your customers so loyal?
My customers are so loyal because of the personal relationship that we build in the process of shopping and getting to know one another. Some of my best customers are my best friends! You know who you are;)
6. Work and Mommy-hood. What’s one “non-negotiable” you try to stand by to balance the two?
My non-negotiable is working from home. My goal is to always be home with my little ones even if that means working late into the nights.
7. What’s one item that is a MUST have from Buttercream Clothing right now?
The 3 wear Poncho/Dress/Skirt is a must have right now. This piece has been so popular over the last few weeks that it has sold out three times. It is the perfect thing for travel as it acts as a blanket/poncho on the plane, a dress for the beach and a skirt for dinners out. We use a bamboo blend jersey fabric for this one so it can be rolled up into a suitcase with minimal wrinkling. The poncho/dress/skirt is offered in 3 different sizes and is a spring and summer must have!
8. Starting your own line can be extremely intimidating. What’s one thing that motivated you to go for it?
I love the creative process for planning a line and for getting it out there in the public. I think my biggest motivation was being able to stay home with my kids while still having a way to provide my family with income while giving me a creative outlet as well. Another motivator for me is providing my customers with ethical fashion that is easily attainable as well as providing local seamstresses with work.
9. We are always eager to know what’s in store for fast growing company’s like you. Can you share with us anything exciting happening or launching in the next few months?
I am very excited to be working with some amazing fashion bloggers soon as well as the fall line launching in late summer 2015.
10. If you reflect on your journey so far with “Buttercream Clothing”, what has been the most intimidating about owning this company, and what has been the BEST thing?
I think the most intimidating thing I have done with my company was launching the new website and at the same time that has been the best thing as well. So much thought, planning and design went into it and it was a full year in the making. I am so happy that it has been so well received.
11. With all of the brands that you have connected with thru social media, what one person/brand would you love to meet in person?
I would say Nicole Bridger but I just got to meet her a couple of weeks ago! I think the next on the list would be Sophia Amoruso.
Thank you so much Candice for taking the time to open up and share your journey with us.
To SHOP more looks from Buttercream Clothing click HERE!
Don’t forget to enter the contest below for your chance to WIN!